Last Saturday was hot indeed. Standing on the side walk under the sun felt like I was being roasted alive and if I didn’t bring a mini- fan along with me, I would have been cooked to death and served on a platter for the next guy to eat! We were all carrying bags and bags of frozen food, potato chips, crabsticks, and etcetera. We were the last to arrive and not a moment too soon! “Pit 50” I stared at the big sign drilled in at the side of the barbecue Pit.
Yup, that’s right, my family and I are having a Barbecue today to celebrate the birthdays of five January babies and my mum was one of them! It was pit 50, located at Pasir Ris park and boy was the park large! When we arrived, the tent had already been pitched and three of my cousins were found playing in the tent while my aunts sat on the mat and chit- chat while enjoying the cool sea breeze that lashed their faces, bringing forth a soothing and calm feeling. While the aunts do what they always do, my father and uncles and granduncle were at the barbecue Pit, lighting the charcoal, getting ready for the barbecue.
Well, you must be wondering what I was doing when all this was happening…or did you forget about me? Me, my cousins, my brother and I brought a football to play with, just in case we had nothing to do and was about to die of boredom. First, we just started by passing the ball around, then, the fathers joined in and it became a small match. We had a ton of fun and this is what I call family bonding, sharing our laughters with one another and enjoying the precious moment that we are having. While we were playing football, my other cousins were at the beach playing the sand, building sandcastles and stuff like that.
Soon, it was time to chow down, the food was ready and boy were we starving. But the long wait didn’t seem that long as we all chipped in to help barbecue the food. So every bite out of the food had our hard work and sweat in it (not literal sweat). It was that sense of achievement that warms our hearts. I tried a new invention of my own and that was dipping the crabsticks in Coke and then barbecuing it over the hot grill. At first my relatives all thought that it won’t taste good and they even said that it was a little disgusting. But after much persuasion, I manage to stuff some into their mouths. It was then that they started to demand me for more of my delicious creation. It was a mix of both sweet and salty. It was sweet because of the Coke and salty because of the crabstick itself.
The sun set in the horizon as the night settled in. our tummies where already filled by then and my cousins and I continued to kick the football around. Only the area around the barbecue pit was lit, but the rest of the areas besides the surrounding barbecue pits, especially the sea and the shore were totally pitch black. My uncle told us not to hit the ball too hard, to prevent it from going into the water, but in the end, it was he himself that kicked the ball too hard, which flew over our heads and resulted in the ball landing smack in the middle of the water, over the water breaker. We dashed towards the shore to find the ball and with the help of the light that our hand phones produced; we managed to spot the ball, slowly drifting to shore. My uncle, the culprit, then went to grab the ball that was moving with the current along the shoreline. For the record, the ball fell into the sea twice, the second culprit was none other than yours truly though.
The barbecue birthday party ended with the traditional happy birthday song and the blowing of the candles on the scrumptious almond cake and man was it delicious. I was pretty sad when the barbecue party ended. This was one of my precious moments that I spent with my relatives and I would cherish this memory forever.
Enjoy the pictures!
Lazying around the tents and mats

The fathers lighting the charcoal

Getting ready for the BBQ

Curry....Bee Hoon....Fried Rice....YAY!!

The BBQ Starts.... Nuggets, Otah, Crabstick etc

This is my mum' s home-made fruit salad. It is basically filled with fruits, yoghurt and topped off with Nata de Coco. (It is square and chewy, though i don't know what it's made of, but you've got to try it if you haven't!)

Night falls.... this is my grand aunt playing the iphone! Who says old people cant use touchphones??

Here is my cousin and my aunt, relaxing in the tent that my unlce pitched.
COCA-COLA! :)

Extremely melted marshmallow, my cousin is having trouble eating it though...

This is my aunt trying hard to ride the scooter....DON'T FALL!!

These are the 5 January babies, the one in pink is my MUM!!

ALMOND CAKE...

Sparkles time

Guess what we're doing....burning a DEAD leaf...Shhh! Don't tell anyone!
END OF BARBEQUE SESSION, sigh......


Very descriptive and detailed posts. Contains many images, allowing readers to be able to feel the atmosphere during the event stated in the post. could write more about your feelings and personal reflection though.
ReplyDelete