This picture was taken from: http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumb_103/1165165567YKev77.jpgThis quote might be familiar to you, well; it is none other than the tagline that is used in TRANSFORMERS, and what Optimus Prime said in the movie is right, there’s more than meets the eye. There is always more to something than it looks at first glance. As the saying goes: “Don’t judge a book by its cover”. Well the same understanding goes for life. Life is full of ups and downs, sometimes unusual things happen, and suddenly one is pulled away from his boring world and into another mystical world when it happens. This feeling is exactly what I felt when I……
Although starting with a flashback- kind- of- style is what I believe to be very cliché, I still think that this is the best way to present my emotions.
There I was, taking the MRT train home from Pasir Ris, after going out to downtown with my classmates, on one of days during the December holidays. It was around seven in the evening when I entered the train and saw that there were no empty seats, so had to result to standing.
“Ding Dong, next stop Eunos” the speaker in the MRT train blared. There were about two to three stops until the train reaches mine and I was so eager to go home and lie on the bed. I took a glanced at the map that showed the route of the train and confirmed that it was another three stops before it reaches mine. Since it was the holidays, I had the kind of “high” feeling where I felt so carefree and distressed. After one year of hard work, I finally get a good rest.
I held onto the pole as the train stopped. I looked around as passengers rushed out and others entered the train. There were two guys, about 15 years old, in front of me that kept making so much noise, what more, they were listening to their iphones and the volume was at full blast, even I who was standing a few good inches away could hear the music. Then, I turned to my right and saw two girls, about my age, giggling and gossiping, hand phones in their hands. I didn’t know what they were talking about, but they just kept giggling, but I couldn’t care less.
Suddenly, I felt a thug at my t- shirt. I turned around and realized that it was one of the two rowdy guys that were listening to their iphones at full blast. I looked at him.
“Come here,” he said. I inched my way forward, heart pounding with anticipation, wondering what he was going to do to me.
“Come closer la” he said again, with the Singapore slang. I moved about half a step and then he asked me to bend down. I was getting ready for the worst to happen, whether it was that the guy was trying to rob me or not.
I glanced around and saw that everyone in the train was busy minding their own business, either burying their head in the newspapers or fixing their eyes on their hand phone.
“Erm” the guy continued, somewhat stammering a bit. I got a little tensed and kept a staring at his hands, making sure that he does not reach for my pockets.
“Could you help me…?” My heart pounded, my mind was overflowing with thoughts.
Then, he finally blurted out what he wanted to tell me. I was already at the verge of dying of anticipation.
“Could you help me ask the two girls there for their phone numbers?” he whispered into my ear and pointed to the giggling girls.
Well, I was STUNNED, utterly STUPIFIED and DUMBFOUNDED. My mind was thinking: “I got all worked up for nothing…” No one has ever asked me to do something like that before; I was just shocked, and stood rooted to the ground. I hesitated a little and then, just before I could answer him, the speaker blared out: “Ding Dong, next station, Paya Lebar”. I soon realized that it was my stop.
I then told the guy: “I’m sorry but I am alighting at the next stop, so if you could kindly ask someone else to help you?”
I could see the disappointment in his face as he said “okay”.
I left the train, turning back only to see the guy talking to another stranger. He must be asking the stranger to so the same favour that he asked me to do, well the only thing can say is: “good luck!”
Well, this incident made me realize that the most unexpected thing can happen in your life. Take this incident for example, I thought that I would only see this happen in television dramas, never had it crossed my mind that this will happen in real life, little long it happening to me…… This experience that I have shared with you shows that there’s more than meet the eye, especially when one uses this phrase in the context of life.
Although starting with a flashback- kind- of- style is what I believe to be very cliché, I still think that this is the best way to present my emotions.
There I was, taking the MRT train home from Pasir Ris, after going out to downtown with my classmates, on one of days during the December holidays. It was around seven in the evening when I entered the train and saw that there were no empty seats, so had to result to standing.
“Ding Dong, next stop Eunos” the speaker in the MRT train blared. There were about two to three stops until the train reaches mine and I was so eager to go home and lie on the bed. I took a glanced at the map that showed the route of the train and confirmed that it was another three stops before it reaches mine. Since it was the holidays, I had the kind of “high” feeling where I felt so carefree and distressed. After one year of hard work, I finally get a good rest.
I held onto the pole as the train stopped. I looked around as passengers rushed out and others entered the train. There were two guys, about 15 years old, in front of me that kept making so much noise, what more, they were listening to their iphones and the volume was at full blast, even I who was standing a few good inches away could hear the music. Then, I turned to my right and saw two girls, about my age, giggling and gossiping, hand phones in their hands. I didn’t know what they were talking about, but they just kept giggling, but I couldn’t care less.
Suddenly, I felt a thug at my t- shirt. I turned around and realized that it was one of the two rowdy guys that were listening to their iphones at full blast. I looked at him.
“Come here,” he said. I inched my way forward, heart pounding with anticipation, wondering what he was going to do to me.
“Come closer la” he said again, with the Singapore slang. I moved about half a step and then he asked me to bend down. I was getting ready for the worst to happen, whether it was that the guy was trying to rob me or not.
I glanced around and saw that everyone in the train was busy minding their own business, either burying their head in the newspapers or fixing their eyes on their hand phone.
“Erm” the guy continued, somewhat stammering a bit. I got a little tensed and kept a staring at his hands, making sure that he does not reach for my pockets.
“Could you help me…?” My heart pounded, my mind was overflowing with thoughts.
Then, he finally blurted out what he wanted to tell me. I was already at the verge of dying of anticipation.
“Could you help me ask the two girls there for their phone numbers?” he whispered into my ear and pointed to the giggling girls.
Well, I was STUNNED, utterly STUPIFIED and DUMBFOUNDED. My mind was thinking: “I got all worked up for nothing…” No one has ever asked me to do something like that before; I was just shocked, and stood rooted to the ground. I hesitated a little and then, just before I could answer him, the speaker blared out: “Ding Dong, next station, Paya Lebar”. I soon realized that it was my stop.
I then told the guy: “I’m sorry but I am alighting at the next stop, so if you could kindly ask someone else to help you?”
I could see the disappointment in his face as he said “okay”.
I left the train, turning back only to see the guy talking to another stranger. He must be asking the stranger to so the same favour that he asked me to do, well the only thing can say is: “good luck!”
Well, this incident made me realize that the most unexpected thing can happen in your life. Take this incident for example, I thought that I would only see this happen in television dramas, never had it crossed my mind that this will happen in real life, little long it happening to me…… This experience that I have shared with you shows that there’s more than meet the eye, especially when one uses this phrase in the context of life.
This picture was taken from: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2019/2166485450_23d6da65c3.jpg


Hi Zac!
ReplyDeleteGreat post!
Interesting and heartwarming story with a funny twist at the end. Can use for my Narrtive Writings... :)
Let me ask you two questions. One, did this really happen? Two, will you go and ask for their numbers if the next stop wasn't yours?
Hehe, interested to know what your answers are.
Hope to hear from you soon!
Cheers,
Raphael :D