Thursday, January 14, 2010

Sigh! My bags are packed, now getting ready for hell! (Something that took place in school)








Hey, yea, I’m talking to you, I bet when you first saw this title, you must be thinking that I’m getting ready for school right...WRONG! You are totally wrong! But if it so happens that this thought never occurred to you then forget what I just said.

Anyway, it all started at the end of last year’s end-of-year holidays. Usually at this time, I would be getting ready for school and would usually be trying to have as much fun as possible before the start of school, but one little problem that ruined my perfect plan… it was the NPCC Unit Training Camp. This camp is also known as UTC to us. This camp is held every year, usually at the last part of the holidays probably because they would not want to disrupt our holiday plans. Last year, it was held between 28th of December to the 30th of December. This camp was planned by the secondary three cadets, and it is not a slack camp, I prefer to call it a torture camp though. In this camp, we and the secondary 2 cadets were split into four groups and each group had a leader and assistant leader.

I got to admit, I was pretty reluctant about going to camp, having to reach school by 6.45 am on the first day and having to wake up every day for the next two days at five plus…but I did not have much choice though.

My bags were packed and I was ready to go. I reached there a little before 6.30 am and hence waited at the staircase near the canteen. Then, at 6.45 am, we had to assemble in the canteen. We got scolded for not greeting the seniors and hence had to do pumping (which means push- ups for your information). What a way to start the camp! Getting scolded by our seniors......


The first activity was the second hardest one out of the rest of the activities held throughout the camp. It was called Physical Training Competition. We call it “PT Comp”. This competition tests the endurance and the physical abilities and pushed them to the extreme limit whereby we push ourselves mentally by striving to reach our goals. In other words, we push ourselves to reach our goals. There are a total of four stations and at each station we have to set a record by doing different forms of physical exercises at different stations. In the end, even after all of us have
pushed ourselves to our limit, we still ended up as runner ups, but we were not discouraged.

That was only day one and already it felt like hell and it isn’t going to get better. On the second day, the hardest activity was Land Expedition. We call it “Land X”. This was worse than hell; we had to travel from one end of East Coast Park to the other, stopping at stations to do a few activities. We were the only group that managed to complete all of the activities within two hours, but sadly we were also the last to arrive at the end point, hence, did not win first place. Although we weren’t able to clinch the first prize, we felt like we have completed a great feat, and that was that we were the only group that finished all the stations within that time limit because we persevered and pushed ourselves to our limit, we even made the final 200 meter sprint to the starting point (the underpass) while carrying out bags and that is what I believe greatness means, to push on even though we were dead tired.

The most fun part of the camp was the water activities and of course the ending of the camp the next day. The main purpose of the water activity was of course to get us wet! That was the most fun because we finally got to relax a bit after the long tiring “Land X”. I had a ton of fun, splashing other groups, even our own seniors! That I think was a great pleasure, seeing them get wet form head to toe.

The last day of camp! This is the best part of the whole camp. Everyone was very enthusiastic on the last day, probably because they couldn’t wait to go home and relax! Frankly, I too wanted to get my butt home quickly. After a debrief session that felt like it would last forever, they dismissed us. We bolted towards the staircase, grabbed our bags and raced down. “Torture camp is finally over! Looks like I’m going back to Earth!” I told myself. Taking the bus home felt like taking an elevator from the lowest floor in hell to Earth……”Finally I’m HOME!”
This is one of our unit shirt, though we did not wear it to camp
Well, this camp wasn't a wase of time though, it improved my physical ability and plus, i got a new rank!!! Now i'm no more a cadet, i'm a Lance Coporal!!! hehe :P

No comments:

Post a Comment